Monday 5 August 2013

The Perfect Summer Day

Today was probably one of the nicest summer days I've experienced in Toronto in a long, long time. The skies were blue, there was barely any humidity, it was warm and it was just nice to be outside.

I started the day off by lazing about my house and getting my random chores/errands done for the day. Later on in the afternoon, I went over to a friend's house and went out for a bike ride with her.

The trip started off as an innocent bike ride, but it quickly turned into an impromptu picnic. We first stopped off at the T&T around her place for asian snacks and food before heading over to Sugar Beach.

Sugar Beach is an "urban beach park in Toronto, opened in 2010" according to Wikipedia. It is right across the waters from the RedPath Sugar Refinery and this is a beach where you can't go swimming. Basically, there are provided chairs and shade for people to enjoy the beach, right on the waterfront.

Nice Muskoka chairs to sit and relax

You can see the RedPath factory right across the narrow strip of water. Its one of the few industrial areas left in the downtown Toronto core.

Somedays I forget that Toronto is a port city

As the afternoon rolled by, we chilled in our Muskoka chairs, on an urban beach eating our Hong Kong styled snacks, sipping our lemon honey tea and orange juice and pondered about life. 

A true representation of Toronto: a mix-bag of everything 

As the sun started to dip lower and lower in the sky, we hopped back on our bikes and headed home. 

Nice view on the bike trail home

Our last stop of the day was at McDonald's where I tried their newest McLobster.

Before I give my opinion on the sandwich, I have to say that I've had this before several years ago in Nova Scotia and had quite enjoyed it. It was a local specialty and it was quite tasty from memory. 


I have to say, the sandwich was a real dissapointment. No real lobster taste and too much mayo. 

Poor presentation too!

The lobster chunks were there...but I'm not sure why the lobster taste wasn't stronger. It didn't live up to the McLobster in my memory :(.

Extras: Celebrating My One Year As A Biker

This month holds a special meaning in my heart as it marks the one year anniversary of me biking downtown. Exactly a year ago, someone decided to steal my metropass while I was on the TTC and since I didn't want to buy another one, I decided to start riding the bike I had just bought at the time. 

My trusty old bike :D

I guess a lot of people don't understand why I would risk my life everyday to bike downtown. Why would you risk your life when you can just take the bus? they say.  Honestly, somedays, I don't really know either. Biking is very good exercise, really nice in the warmer months and best of all the fastest way you can get around downtown Toronto. As a person who dislikes going to the gym, this is the only way you could get me to exercise. I think deep down, it's also my way of defining my individuality, my independence, and being my kind of a rebel. 

Going forward, I hope that I will always be able to bike everywhere I go. Probably not practical but life is not always about practicality.

I'm just another girl on her bike :)

Have a good week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Such an awesome day! Too bad I couldn't come =(
    And it looks like you got a bad McLobster. My brother was raving on and on about his when he tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chrissy! You're so speedy...lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...