Thursday 8 March 2012

Lunch at Caplansky's and desserts at Wanda's

The weather is starting to get nice here in Toronto, I 'm so excited for Spring to come ! On a lovely Spring-like day, I decided to bring a few friends to Caplansky's on College Street to try out their smoked meats.

A beautiful day on College Street
I first heard about this place when I was watching Dragon's Den on CBC and the owner Zain asked for money on the show to start a food truck. Unfortunately he didn't get the money but everybody on the show loved his food. So since it was so close to school, I decided to walk over and try it out.

The store is pretty easy to find and it's on a corner on College between Spadina and Bathurst.



The decor inside is like a deli meets diner meets 1920's. There were lots of big glass jars holding sausages and what not and you can even bring some (cooked) meat home. The waitress even had hot red lips!


Everyone decided to get the Caplansky Platter so that we can try out all the meats on their menu. It came with Montreal smoked meat, chopped liver, turkey, sausage and (I think) smoked tongue. 



You also get little slices of bread to make your own sandwiches. There were lots of variety of mustard to choose from which was quite nice. The honey mustard was my favourite and maybe next time I go, I'll buy a jar home to use on my bbq stuff. 

Believe it or not, the tongue was my favourite out of all of this. I know the concept of eating tongue sounds strange, but it was so tender and flavourful! Definitely worth a try. 


I really enjoyed Caplansky's and its food is unique in Toronto. I mean, where do you find Montreal smoked meats outside of Montreal? Also, the owner was such a nice guy!  I left my sanitizer on the table and he chased us down to give it back to me ( even though it's not worth anything).  

 Wanda's Pie in the Sky

I guess we were still hungry after so we decided to search for a ice cream/cupcake/ froyo place. Nothing really came up within walking distance so we settled on Wanda's Pie in the Sky in Kensington Market. 


This place was also super retro looking too. I guess that's the "in" thing now a days?

Notice the retro coffee signs. And no, the coffee wasn't 5 cents/cup
Other then pies, they had quite a large selection of cupcakes and sweets.

 Some of them are even Vegan!




I actually ended up getting hot chocolate which was quite good. I'm not sure what they added but it was like a hot milk drink with chocolate flavouring. Sophie ended up getting the butter scotch pudding, which was good if you're into caramel.



Overall, I'm not sure if I would go back to Wanda's since a lot of their items seems a bit pricey and I'm not a huge sweets person. But if you're into sweets and pies, it's definitely worth a visit.

Extras:

I ordered an Olympus 45 mm lens online and it finally came today! This lens is supposed to be for portraits and I'm pretty excited to test it out over the next few weeks.  

Such a small package! 
Here's a test shot of my mom's pretty orchids using the new lens. 


The one thing I noticed was that I have to be standing quite a bit further back to get a shot then compared to my 20 mm Panasonic lens. Also, the lack of image stabilization within the lens was pretty noticeable since I have shaky hands. But hopefully, I'll get the hang of things soon and take some more shots. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...