Saturday 25 February 2012

Hot pot, Nail Art, Skiing and AYCE Sushi


Hope everyone had a nice reading week, or if you're not in university, a good week over all. My reading week went really well and I got to do a lot of things that I normally don't get a chance to do.

Hot Pot on a Snowy Day

I had hotpot night at my house, and to my good fortune, I picked the only day it seemed to snow this winter.

There was actually snow on the ground!

Hot pot, if you're not familiar with it, is like an Asian fondue, accept you cook the food in hot broth over a little stove. I love adding fish balls and slices of thinly cut meat like beef and lamb. It's a great way to cook food during the winter since you're sitting over the stove and a great bonding activity with others. :)

Lots of fish tofu boiling away. Yum!
Nail Art

The next day,  Christina graciously did my nails with her cool stencilling tools. I don't normally put on any nail polish since I can't paint within the lines (I know... how sad). But thankfully she was great and there were so many combinations with her colour collection that you can really get creative with your designs. 

Look at all the cool stencil options!
She decided to do a purple flower and white butterfly on each finger, I really loved the combination.




Christina was nice enough to do my sister's hands as well with a simpler design.


The white flowers look so classy.

Afterward, we went for a little walk around my neighbourhood and noticed how gigantic the stop signs were. 

Christina was compelled to "STOP" for the large stop sign.


Skiing at Blue Mountain


Later in the week, I went a day ski trip to Blue Mountain in Collingwood. This was my third time skiing, but first time going to Blue Mountain. I had thought I was an OK skiier until I started skiing and wiping out like crazy on the slopes. I guess I'm just not the Canadian-winter-skiing-type.

Just before we left however, I had the chance to explore the little village/resort around Blue Mountain. The place was just gorgeous around twilight and I'm sure it gets even prettier at night.

The hotels looked so quaint and cute

There was even an outdoor rink to play hockey if you felt that skiing wasn't enough.



The townsquare was full of restaurants and shops and looked very old-fashioned, which made it perfect for tourists like me. The red brick and the lights really gave everything a very romantic look and feel.



At the bottom of some slopes, they even had lawn chairs set up for when you got tired. I'm not sure if that's a good idea since there is the possibility of some n00b crashing into you.


All-You-Can-Eat Sushi on Baldwin

I had a craving for all-you-can-eat sushi so we ended up going to Kunisuhi-ya! on Baldwin Street. The food was pretty good and as always with AYCE sushi, it's a delicate balance between making your money's worth and not killing yourself with food. Our strategy for the night was to try and stick to sashimi and meaty dishes and avoid rolls. 

The gyoza 


I would say that my favourite of the night had to be the squid teriyaki. Everything was well cooked and I'm a sucker for anything squid/octopus.



Annie really wanted the chicken wings and I must say, four wings per order was pretty small and the wings were tiny too. I would not recommend getting this unless you really like chicken wings like she does.


The sashimi was pretty good but they only came in one slice per order so we got lots. 


We ordered more food later but I got lazy and stopped taking photos. Overall, I would recommend this place since the service was quite good and we got a 10% discount for paying in cash. The food wasn't bad but AYCE sushi is never as good as the a-la-carte version anyways.

February is almost over and I can't wait till Spring is here! Have a good weekend everyone! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and let you know we've added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard! That teriyaki squid looks pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! How come I dont' get invited to these fun and games!?
    (the AYCE sushi... not the nails, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!! I dunno, the AYCE was a spur of the moment thing! Maybe next time :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...