Friday 3 February 2012

Takoyaki at Manpuku and 5 Dollar Lunches


After trying out the takoyaki or octopus balls at Fin Izakaya, Sophie decided to show me other varieties of this dish at Manpuku.

Manpuku is a small little lunch shop inside the plaza opposite of the Ontario Art Gallery. For a busy place downtown, it does feel very cozy and "Japanese".

The easy to read menu

Since takoyaki is a snack and we were technically there for lunch, we got some main dishes to go along with the takoyaki.

Sophie got riceballs in soup 

I had udon with fish slices
The noodles and the fish was really good!



Finally our takoyaki came and they were so good!! I would most definitely go back :)

Mmm....Takoyaki :)


The next day, I decided to go to Hart House's famous 5 dollar lunches with a few friends.

Hart House is probably one of my favourite places on the U of T campus. It has the old world feel that one does not normally find in North America. 

The beautiful chandeliers in the Great Hall
Even the chairs look old! 
Clearly, this was a popular event....
The food that day unfortunately was not that good at all. It was an all vegetarian menu with candied yams, peas and hummus in pita with rice.

The yams tasted funny :(
On my way back to classes, it just so happened to be the Student Action day and saw a few policemen standing by.



There were quite a lot of students protesting. I don't usually see such a large turnout at protester events at U of T.



The atmosphere was quite fun and lively since there were speakers playing loud music. It honestly felt more like a concert then a protest.





Extras:

Kris had worn a shirt with holes in it and of course, Esther couldn't resist drawing in those holes, and I couldn't resist documenting the process. 


At least Kris was co-operative about it....

Can you spot the hole she drew?



Almost forgot to show off my fancy Graditude lapel pin:

I'm a sucker for Engineering swag
Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Going to casting day? I'm in for more adventures as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...