Monday 27 May 2013

Lost in Romantic Venice


 We have now travelled to the romantic city of Venice where the best way to get around is by boat and the city is a series of islands connected by bridges and canals. Every time you cross a bridge, you are going to another island. 

I saw some gondoliers practising their craft...awesome!

Parked gondolas in front of St. Mark's square
 We had a bit of rain today and combined with the high tides, this can flood St. Mark's square. The Italians call this Aqua Alta, which means high water. 


Children playing around in the flooded water
 

The rain got worst over the day but I was all prepped with my umbrella and trench coat.




Venice is a beautiful city, but it's quite easy to get lost in the winding streets. The best way to get anywhere is to follow the black and yellow signs towards San Marco or Rialto bridge.  As you leave St. Mark's square, the number of people decrease dramatically and you get to appreciate the beauty of Venice at your own pace.


Everywhere you turn seem to look like this
I also got to try the squid ink pasta, famous from this region. I can't believe I never tried it before because I really liked the taste! I guess all the black from the pasta just really turned me off. 

As the day got on, the clouds parted and I took some nice shot of the coast.



I'm currently near the Italian Riveria region. Tomorrow will be my last leg of the trip in Rome. Have a good night everyone :)


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures Jia Yi! It's one of those places you hear so much about but you're lucky enough to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...