Monday 20 May 2013

Ciao Roma ! Day 1 + 2: Rome , Pompeii and Sorento

I will be on a Contiki tour of Italy over the next little while. Join me in my Italian adventures and check back for more updates :).

Day 1- Arrival in Rome 

I arrived in Rome in the late afternoon and didn't really get a chance to go explore the city until sunset. Rome is absolutely beautiful! It has a lot of energy and it's a mix of old Roman ruins, beautiful churches and little Vespas zipping all over the place. 





My tour started off with a dinner at a local restaurant and I asked my tour manager to let me get off in the center of Rome to see the city a bit. Luckily, I managed to get to the Colosseum by sunset and the deep blue sky made a beautiful contrast against the orange light they have at night.

The shot of the night however was this longer than usual exposure shot. Love the light streaks :D.


Of course, what's Italy without Gelato? I went to a nearby place for some gelato and it was probably better than any Canadian gelato I've ever had. Delicious :). 

Day 2- Pompeii and Sorrento


We leave Rome in the morning to head to the ancient city of Pompeii near Naples. Pompeii is the town that was destroyed almost 2000 years ago when the nearby volcano erupted, spreading ashes over the town and killing and preserving everything inside it.

I was very surprised at how many shops there were in this town of 25000. This is one of those things that I recommend doing with a guide since there were very few explaination/signs and its a very large area to explore alone.

Most of the roofs collapsed but many of the walls remained


After Pompeii, we continued south to Sorrento. The drive there was very scenic and I really wished that we had more chances to stop. It seems like something that would be really fun for a couple to do, yet the roads were quite treacherous and Italian drivers seems to not be fond of following rules, so I would only recommend this drive for an experienced driver.


Tomorrow I will be heading to the island of Capri and the day after will be Florence. I shall update again when I have more time/ access to wifi.

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. wow Wow WOW! Have fun Jia Yi!

    Your picture of the Colosseum is amazing! Love the blue on orange contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jiaya,
    Great post on your travels! Please e-mail me at natdecants@nataliemaclean.com. It’s about wine of course :)
    Cheers,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...