Saturday 15 November 2014

Adventures in the Azores-Part III - Hot Springs and the Ocean

Hey guys! This is part III of my time in the Azores, you can check out part I and part II.

I just want to polish off the 3 part series before 2014 is over. The rest of the year looks like it'll be very busy with lots of friends coming to town so I probably won't get to do as much blogging.

The final stop in our Azores trip was to a spa by the ocean, in a place called Ferreira.  I haven't been to many spas in my life but I thought this one was special since it was right by the ocean and the pools in the spa use the natural hot spring water. The best part is that there's a hot spring right at the beach, that's accessible to anyone. The water gets really hot to ~50 C , but there's also the cold atlantic water coming in to the area. The locals really enjoy the contrast between the hot and cold and many will come in the summer.

The little red roof is where the spa is located
The waves were high and dangerous that day. The water levels were very high so it was not suitable for swimming. And the reality was, with the water so high up, it's very difficult to feel the hot spring waters contrasted with the cold ocean waves since the pool is filled with cold water.

I ended up not going into the natural pool and just got a massage at the spa instead. In general, the spa was located in a beautiful area and it was fantastic to use their facilities that had the same mineralized waters that was pumped from underground.  Here's a few shots of the views at the spa.








This ends the 3 part series on the Azores. I also did a highlight reel if you are interested.

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...